From Morning Messages to Digital Messages: Moving from the tried and true to the new
Labbo, L. D. (2005). From morning message to digital morning message:
moving from the tried and true to the new. The Reading Teacher. 58. 8. pp.782-785.
Technology, especially computers, will continue to expand its influence into many aspects of our children’s lives as they grow. Teaching children to be confident and competent with computers is our responsibility as teachers; we must make sure this influence is a well-meaning and profound experience. Teachers can involve students with daily exercises on computers. An example would be beginning each day with a different student typing a “Good Morning World” message combined with pictures taken by the students on the teacher’s digital camera to then print and display in the classroom (Kawakami-Arakaki, Oshiro, & Farran, 1989). Extra copies could be made for the students to take home, and this could serve as a useful home-to-school connecting activity. Another example would be for the teacher to guide the students through writing a song together using simple digital audio software and then giving copies to the students to take home on compact discs. There are a myriad of exercises for teaching technological skills; we as teachers should get our students interested in the technology that is changing our world. The students must learn computers are helpful and capable of making life easier, that computers are a tool to be used creatively and intelligently. Teachers can incorporate easy software such as Kid Pix to create these morning messages. Labbo also points out how teachers can use this software and integrate the computer activities with literacy and other subject areas.
My Thoughts:
Labbo gave exceptional information on integrating technology in the classroom through morning messages. She also points out the importance of teachers and students being comfortable with the computer software they use in the classroom. I believe this is the most importance aspect for being technological successful in the classroom. The teachers and students have to feel successful in what they are doing to continue using computers as a learning tool. I'm personally a very hands on person. I have to use my hands to learn and manipulate whatever I am learning. I have to work with the computer, the software, and understand the features of the software program before I can integrate the program in the classroom. If the program is hard or complicated to use; I will probably not use it in my classroom. This article made me aware of the importance of taking this computer class, and also the importance of staying abreast of the changing world of technology, we have to continue to be life long learners to be effective teachers in the classroom.
Welcome to My Blog
Welcome To Mrs. Bowlin's Classroom Blog. I teach second grade. They are one of the loves of my life. I am looking forward to meeting my new class of eager learners.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hello Kathy, this is V. Prince. Your comment about getting children to be confident and competent with computers was a good one. Computers has helped strugglng readers in my class to feel better about reading. A "Good Morning World" message is also something to think about, except I would have to see how it's done first. I would also plan on reading more about Kid Pix, thanks for reminding me because I keep forgetting to look into it. I'm glad that you see things my was in regards to teachers teaching children to be more computer literate. Your article gave alot of good tips. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Kathy B,
This is a great summary. It would be nice if we could let our students create the morning message on the computer(Reading First- write the message on the board). Kid Pix is a great software. I have it in my collection of software. I do agree that you must feel comfortable with the software you are using. You can not effectively use the software or show your students how to use it if you are not comfortable with what you are doing.
Tiketha
Kathy: I think that this article was so important for teachers to read and appreciate how technology is becoming more and more part of a classroom for teachers and students. This article helped me realize that the possiblities of using technology along with a lesson involving students interacting with a computer or other equipment is essential for students and teachers to learn 'outside of the box.' With this technology in the classroom, students and teachers alike can learn more than just from a textbook.
Post a Comment